HTDC INFORMATION, NEWS & EVENTS
HTDC Call to Action - ALERT ONLY!
This is a heads-up that HTDC will soon be seeking your SUPPORT on the $22 million CIP request contained in the State Budget Bill HB1700 / SB8215
HB1700 / SB8215 contains the $22 million CIP (Capital Improvement Project) request that will allow HTDC to develop a new innovation hub equipped with collaborative space and competitive connectivity speeds – amid office space for startups. The current land lease at the Manoa Innovation Center (MIC) will expire in April 2015, this CIP request will allow HTDC to continue its efforts to help our technology and innovation community.
For more information: PDF Flyer
Entrepreneurs Day at the Capitol
March 5, 2014 (Wed)
Location: Hawaii State Capitol
Come join us to show lawmakers the importance of entrepreneurs to Hawaii’s economy!
Industries to be showcased: Aerospace, Clean Technology, Energy, Fashion Design & Manufacturing, Food & Gift Manufacturing, Information Technology, Life Sciences, Music, Film & Digital Media
Friday Coffee @ MIC
March 14, 2014
Location: MIC Front Office
Keenan Porter from the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii will be the host- Learn how being a Chamber member could benefit your company. Come join us!
PBN's 2014 Technology For Business Panel
March 14, 2014 (Fri)
Location: Plaza Club
• What is the biggest technology challenge facing owners of small and medium-sized businesses, and how should they be tackling it?
• In what areas do you expect technology related spending to increase this year, and what areas may get less attention than in past years?
• How can owners and managers of small and medium-sized businesses make improvements to their technology without increasing their budgets?
• Is there a set percentage of total spending that most companies should be spending on technology every year so they don't fall behind? Why or why not?
• How has the corporate use of social media changed in the past few years, and what changes do you expect to see in 2014?
Panel of Experts:
• DANIEL LEUCK, CEO, Ikayzo
• CYRUS DRIVER, Vice President, Business Services, Oceanic Time Warner Cable Business Class
• BURT LUM, Executive Director, Hawaii Open Data
• JASON HO'OPAI, CEO/Founder, @ShopSuey
Moderated by Robbie Melton, Executive Director & CEO, HTDC
Honolulu Mini Maker Faire
March 15, 2014 (Sat)
Location: Iolani School, Sullivan Center
• A Mini Maker Faire is the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth—a family-friendly festival of invention, creativity and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement.
• Part science fair, part county fair, and part something entirely new, Maker Faire is an all-ages gathering of tech enthusiasts, crafters, educators, tinkerers, hobbyists, engineers, science clubs, authors, artists, students, and commercial exhibitors. All of these “makers” come to Maker Faire to show what they have made and to share what they have learned.
• Maker Faire is primarily designed to be forward-looking, showcasing makers who are exploring new forms and new technologies. But it’s not just for the novel in technical fields; Maker Faire features innovation and experimentation across the spectrum of science, engineering, art, performance and craft.
• Maker Faire makes visible these projects and ideas that we don’t encounter every day.
UH Law School Small Business Clinic
March 14th (all full!) & 21st
April 11th & 25th
See Appointment Availability
The Entrepreneurship and Small Business Clinic of the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law in partnership with HTDC & SBDC is offering FREE 45 minute sessions to clients and the public to discuss their legal questions. This is a great opportunity for businesses who are looking for free one-off legal advice.
The sessions will be conducted by law students in the Clinic, under the supervision of Clinic instructor Greg Kim, a licensed attorney who specializes in business law.
March 26, 2014 (Wed)
Location: Microsoft @ Ala Moana
Want to join us for a private party at the Ala Moana Microsoft store?!? Join us for this month and we'll have the run of the store! Take note this will be a morning event.
Microsoft will provide one of their experts to speak about the latest and greatest going on.
RSVP today - http://htdc.org/www
ATCO Graduates from MIC!
On February 28th ATCO graduated to a shared office space downtown.
The company has come a long way since they started at MIC. We wish Tom Blankley and team ATCO the very best of luck as they take on new territory!
Cardax Pharmaceuticals becomes Hawaii’s 16th publicly-traded company (MIC Tenant, Suite 129)
PBN | Feb 7, 2014, 12:36pm HST | Duane Shimogawa
Cardax Pharmaceuticals, a Hawaii-based life sciences company that is developing safe, anti-inflammatory drugs to combat chronic illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease and diabetes, said Friday that it is officially a public company after completing a reverse merger with a publicly-traded Houston coffee-roasting firm. [more]
INDUSTRY RELATED INFORMATION & NEWS
SBA Specialty Loan
Thurs, March 6, 2014
Place: 1132 Bishop St, STE 306
▪ Learning how to acquire commercial property or other fixed assets with up to 90% financing and competitive rates and terms
Time: 8am - 10:30am
▪ Determining if owning makes more sense than renting
▪ Determining if fixed assets, including land & buildings, and PV installations may qualify
▪ Followed by question and answer session
MIC Property Management: Sharon “Shae” Le | firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph: 539-3600 | MIC Suite 100
Repairs for March
Post & spall repair is tentatively scheduled for Friday March 14th and should take approximately one week to complete depending on weather. This maintenance will prevent rust and further wear to the second floor walls and railings, and will involve use of scaffolding. Please proceed with caution while the vendor is at work.
Minor maintenance for restrooms will be performed throughout the month. Please watch for signs posted while using the facilities.
Bin to Recycle Cardboard Now Available!
We now have a green bin in the back parking lot for the convenience of recycling cardboard right here at MIC. Feel free though to continue taking your recyclables to Noelani School as it will benefit school.
Rent checks – In order to process payments more efficiently, please make sure your checks are written out to “HTDC-Manoa Innovation Center” and sent directly to the address as stated on your monthly invoices.
Alarm/Sprinkler Annual Inspection & FIRE DRILL!
Alli Fire Protection will be performing a routine annual inspection of the alarm and sprinkler system tentatively this month or next. We will take the opportunity to do a PRACTICE FIRE DRILL during that time. Please refer to your emergency handbooks for more information and the meeting area.
March 26th (Wed) – Prince Kuhio Day
HTDC offices and the MIC front office will be closed all day. A/C will operate as normal for anyone wishing to work on this holiday. All common areas will be locked.
MIC Coffee Hour: Robbie Melton (New HTDC Executive Director) & the Cut Collective
Did you miss out on last month's V-Day MIC coffee hour? Recognize some of these faces? We had a full crowd with some delicious dessert entries! Come join us for the next one on March 14th, 8:30-9:30am in the MIC Front Office!