It's Holiday Season
The holiday comes with many different traditions, emotions, and busy schedules. Although everyone's take on the holidays is different, one thing that we can all agree on is that a new year is just around the corner!
That means that we are wrapping up this year, perhaps finishing off a list of projects that we've had on the go and getting ready for new beginnings, new lists, and new projects.
How are you doing? Are you checking off things on your list? Clearing your plate and perhaps your workbench so that you can start anew in 2013?
Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and year-end wrap-up!
New Forums at LumberJocks.com
Ta, da, da, dah! Drum roll please.
We are pleased and excited to announce that we now have three additional forums available in our woodworking community:
LumberJocks' Winter Awards
Our LumberJocks' Awards celebrate woodworking skills and creativity. The events are open to all members, of all levels of abilities. Participation is the goal - Award recognition (and prizes) is a bonus! The grand prize is $500!
This winter the Awards category is:
▪ LumberJocks’ creations - you can sit on them, eat at them, sleep on them, use them, look at them .. and wear them. Our Winter Awards this year recognizes the creativity and skills involved in making wooden jewelry.
▪ Please include a picture of the item being worn as well as a description of the creative process (inspiration, intention, etc).
Read all about the Awards here >>>
Mallets of Your Dreams
If you like mallets then you probably have a "dream mallet" -- but had you considered the possibility of a mallet made by a fellow LumberJock? Probably not ... but somebody did and as it often goes here at LumberJocks.com, an idea builds until you get, well, an amazing event like this one some members put together.
It's too late to be part of the "Mallet Swap" but there are plans for similar events in the future! We will try to make an announcement, here in the eMag. in time to give everyone a chance to participate. In the meantime -- congratulations to our members who initiated and participated in this wonderful exchange!
NEW! Cornhole Boards
Thanks to StephenSchaad for facilitating this class on building cornhole boards. Don't know what that is? Check it out ... LINK
SEE ALL CLASSES HERE
Interested in facilitating a class? Send me a message.
TUTORIAL OF THE MONTH
In this tutorial, Mpounders shows us how to make the "5-minute wizard" (or gnome, or elf, or....). Ok, so it may not take only five minutes, but perhaps with a little gnome-power on your side you can whittle the time closer and closer to this goal! (Get it - whittle??!!!) Click here for the tutorial >>>.
(See projects tagged as gnome)
LUMBERJOCKS' BLOGS ...... and ...... PROJECTS
▪ Hammer Grips: why do you do things the way you do? Habit? How you were taught? Efficiency? Check out this video blog by Billyslittlebench.
▪ Bottle Balancer: Jim Jakosh shares how to get the hole "just right"
▪ Getting it Perfect: "this item may/will outlive me", says robscastle in this blog about the cost of miniaturization. Taking the time to get it right - worth it in the end!
▪ Yo-Yo: two circles and a dowel, right? There's more to it than you might think. Check out this blog by The Head Charles, followed by his wobble-fix here.
▪ Inlay Banding: "made easy" in this video blog by Bob Simmons.
▪ Creativity + : creativity plus a master equals one amazing kitchen counter top that words alone cannot describe! Check out this masterpiece by vipond33
▪ Rulers Vs Tapes: After reading GnarlyErik's blog, if you were a tape measure person before, rather than a folding-rule kind of woodworker, you might just be making the switch!
*Bevel Board: Sometimes accuracy is everything! Boatman53 shares how he made a bevel board for those needed precise angles.
Video of the Month
**Snowflakes* are falling, each one different.... or are they? Stevinmarin shares a tutorial (that was passed on to him by Duane Kriebel) on how to make multiple snowflakes of the same pattern.
Review of the Month
* Cookies in the Shop: Bench Cookies, that is. ic3ss gives them a 5-star rating and other LumberJocks kick in with their feedback and multiple uses for these handy shop accessories.
Shop Tour of the Month
* My Humble Workshop: mariva57, one of our newest members, has provided us with a picture tour of his work space. Mariva57's journey into woodworking began just a year ago. The shop is looking not bad, not bad at all! Well done. mariva57
INTERVIEW WITH A LUMBERJOCK
We'll have to wait until the new year for our next interview. Busy schedules during the holiday season has made it difficult to fit in an interview as well.
LumberJocks readily share tips, tricks, plans, and tutorials on anything and everything related to woodworking. The following Gateways have been created to compile information for easy access.
December 1, 2012
53,049 woodworkers making 1,877,016 comments on 73,302 projects, 31,007 blogs, 2,928 reviews and 42,248 forum topics.
* Last year: 34,733 woodworkers making 1,397,422 comments on 55,222 projects, 24,819 blogs, 2,379 reviews and 31,048 forum topics.
* Nov. /08 - 300,000 comments
* Nov. /09 - 14,000 members
* Nov. /09 - 1,000 reviews
Get Your LumberJocks' Sweatshirts Here!
Our LumberJocks' CafePress Stores (USA) and Canada), along with hats and coffee mugs, have a variety of t-shirts and sweatshirts including this one featured here.