To ensure a comprehensive understanding of the issues related to arming URI police officers, all community members are invited to attend the following public forums. These sessions are designed to foster an inclusive, campus-wide discussion. Reports and studies that have been produced over the past several years related to campus safety are available on our website.
Public Forums: Arming URI Police
* Monday, October 7, Memorial Union Ballroom, 3-4 PM
* Monday, October 28, Memorial Union Ballroom, 3-4 PM
* Wednesday, October 30, Feinstein Providence Campus, Auditorium 5-6 PM
* Stephen Baker, director of Public Safety, URI
* Lynn Derbyshire, professor, Communication Studies
* Leo Carroll, professor and chair, Department of Sociology & Anthropology
* Mary Jo Gonzales, assistant vice president for Student Affairs and dean of Students
* John H. McCray Jr., vice provost, Urban Programs (at Providence Forum)
* URI student representative
* Vincent Vespia, chief of police, South Kingstown Police Department
Members of the campus community may submit comments, concerns or questions regarding the issue of arming campus police on this web page.
Sponsored by the Offices of the President, Provost, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, and the Student Senate .